Skip to content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer

Where can I learn about the 2016 – 2017 Reappraisal?

Go to “2017 Reappraisal Completed” located at the bottom of the left side menu.

When will I receive my property tax bill?

Property tax bills are mailed by August 31st.  We are usually able to mail them by mid-August.

Will my bill be sent to the bank holding my escrow account?

Your property tax bill will not be sent to the bank that holds your escrow account.  In most cases, your bank will have requested and received your billing information.  Because you are ultimately responsible for your payment, it is advisable to assure that your bank has made the proper payment from your escrow account.

Since I own multiple properties in town, will I receive separate bills?

You will receive separate bills for properties that are not adjacent to each other.  For properties that are adjacent to each other, you will likely receive one bill.

What should I do if I have a new mailing address?

If you still own your property, but have a new mailing address, be sure to contact the Town Clerk by mail (236 School Road, Guilford, VT  05301), or by phone (802 254 6857 x 101).

Will the town mail a copy of the bill to my co-owner, who has a different address?

No.  The Town of Guilford sends Property Tax Bills to one and only one address.  If you are sharing the payment with others, it is your responsibility to make the necessary arrangements.

When is my tax bill due?

Property tax payments are due once every year, by October 15th.  Payments received by mail must be postmarked on or before October 15th.  If October 15th falls on a weekend, the Town Office will not be open.  If you are planning to make your payment at the Town Office, please be sure to check for the hours and days we are open.

What if my payment is late?

If your payment is not made on time, you will will owe two additional payments:

  • A penalty payment of 8%
  • An interest payment of 1% per month 

What types of payment are acceptable?

You can pay your Property Tax Bill by cash, money order or check payable to the Town of Guilford.  We cannot accept payment by credit or debit cards.

You can pay your bill at the town office during regular office hours or by mail.  Please be sure to include your remittance stub with your payment.  Payments received by mail must be postmarked on or before October 15.

You can make a partial payment of your tax bill at any time, including prior to receiving your bill.

When will I receive my Vermont tax payment?

If you have received a notice of a State of Vermont tax payment, a credit will appear on your tax bill.  Thus, the amount that you must pay will have been reduced by the amount of your Vermont tax payment.  You will not receive a check.

This web link provides access to the Vermont Property Tax Adjustment Claim form.

How is the tax rate determined?

The overall tax rate is comprised of the Municipal Tax Rate (approximately 30% of the tax bill) and the Education Tax Rate (approximately 70% of the tax bill).

Prior to 2004, both tax rates were set at the local level, and based on budgets and the value of taxable property in town. With the passage of Act 68 in 2003, the calculation of the school tax rate shifted to the State.

What are the Homestead and the Non-residential tax rates?

When the calculation of the education tax rate shifted to the State in 2003, two tax rates were established:

  • The Homestead property rate is applied to property owned and occupied by a Vermont resident.
  • The Non-Residential rate is applied to all other property, including commercial, land and those properties not occupied by the owner as a primary residence.

Thus, while two properties may have the same assessment, the tax bills may differ. In the Town of Guilford, the Homestead tax rate has been higher than the Non-Residential rate.  For the 2016 tax bills, this difference was approximately  $ .16 per hundred dollars of assessed value.

How is my education tax status created or changed?

If your property is your primary residence, you must file a Homestead Declaration form annually. Your Homestead Declaration must be filed by April 15th, regardless of any extension granted for your Income Tax Return.

You can file your Homestead Declaration by mail or on-line, after January 1st.  Many people file their Homestead Declaration form with their annual Income Tax Return.   

The web link below provides access to both the Vermont Homestead Declaration form as well as the Vermont Property Tax Adjustment Claim form.

If you do not file a Homestead Declaration form, the education tax status of your property will be Non-residential. 

How is the assessed value of my property determined?

The assessment on your property is an estimate of its “fair market value”.  In Vermont, municipalities conduct periodic town-wide (or zone-wide) reappraisals to estimate the fair market value of properties.

The Internal Revenue Service defines fair market value as “…the price that a property would sell for on the open market. It is the price that would be agreed upon between a willing buyer and a willing seller, with neither being required to act, and both having reasonable knowledge of the relevant facts.”

If the municipality has just completed a reappraisal, the assessment should be an estimate of the price a property would most probably sell for under current real estate market conditions. If the municipality reappraised in some prior year, the assessment should reflect the fair market value relative to the real estate market in that year.  Guilford’s most recent town wide reappraisal was completed in 2017. The previous reappraisal took place in 2005.  

For more information about the 2017 Reappraisal, go to the bottom of the left side menu and choose 2017 Reappraisal Completed

What if I don’t agree with the town’s assessment?

You are welcome to contact the Board of Listers at any time with questions about your property assessment.

The process of formally appealing your property assessment begins with the grievance hearing, which is held with the Board of Listers.  Grievance hearings usually start in June, about 2 weeks after notices of new values are mailed to property owners.  Since only property owners with assessment changes receive these notices, other taxpayers who wish to appeal should contact the Listers office before May 1st to request notification of the exact date the hearings will begin and to obtain any necessary paperwork for filing a grievance.  You may grieve in one of 3 ways:  in person, by representation (with the written permission of the owner), or by mail.

Notices of Grievance Results will be mailed within two weeks after the hearings are closed. This notice will contain information regarding the procedure for appealing the decision of the Listers to the Board of Civil Authority. Appeals beyond the local level go to either the Vermont Superior Court or to the Director of Property Valuation and Review. Each level of appeal must be completed before the next can be scheduled.

Are You Appealing? An introduction to property tax assessment appeals

Special Report on Property Tax Appeals A guide to the tax appeal process

Where can I learn more about the Current Use Program?

You can find out about Vermont’s Current Use Program on line at:

Where can I learn about the Military Exemption Program?

You can find out about Vermont’s Military Personnel – Property Tax Exemption for Disabled Veterans at:

How can I contact the State Property Tax Administration?

You can access announcements and publications from the State Property Tax Administration at: