Request for Paving Bids
|Project Title:||2023 Weatherhead Hollow Road Paving|
|Contact:||Erika Elder, Town Administrator|
(802) 254-6857, ext. 105
Town of Guilford
236 School Road
Guilford, VT 05301-8319
|Date of Issue:||May 1st, 2023|
|Deadline:||12:00 PM, May 22, 2023|
|Decision:||May 22, 2023|
REQUEST FOR PAVING BIDS:
The Town of Guilford requests sealed bids for a project which include: 1” full lane width shim; paving; single lift paving; and shoulder work with ¾” dense grade.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The location is on Town Highway 4, known as Weatherhead Hollow Road, from approximately the intersection of Town Highway 35, known as Yeaw Road, heading south to approximately Town Highway 48, known as Baker Cross Road and is approximately 2 miles long.
- The Contractor must use a 2021 VTrans approved mix design for 50 Gyration Superpave mix design with 70-28 PG binder and the mix shall contain no recycled asphalt shingles (RAS), and no recycled asphalt pavement (RAP). It must be 100% virgin mix.
- The plant producing the bituminous concrete pavement shall have a current (2019) certification by the VTrans Construction & Materials Lab 72 hours prior to producing mix for the specified project(s).
- The Contractor must provide a paver which includes one operator and two screed persons. See section 406.10 of 2018 Spec book.
- The Contractor must provide compaction equipment and operators capable of attaining a compacted density of at least 92.5% maximum specific gravity of the mix.
- The Contractor will supply RS-1 or RS-1H Emulsion and distributor meeting sections 404.04 to 404.06 of 2018 Spec book for applying emulsion at a min. rate of 0.040 gal/SY. Emulsion is to be applied to all surfaces in contact with the new BCP. Cold longitudinal joints shall receive a double application of emulsion. Tack wagons not capable of applying a continuous uniform application at the specified rate of tack in a single pass will be removed from the project if the issue cannot be corrected. Emulsion shall be considered incidental to the work required for this contract and as such shall not be priced out separately but instead be included in the unit price of asphalt to be placed.
- The Contractor will provide equipment, operator and laborers necessary to cold plane 10 foot (minimum) tapers at project beginning and end limits, beginning and end approaches to bridges, side road tapers, to attain curb reveal, etc. May be done with a skid steer or bobcat with a milling attachment.
- The Contractor shall be responsible for all cleaning of the road surface(s) prior to paving.
- Paving to include 2 foot drive aprons and 2 foot side road aprons as required; this does not include any taper needed to match existing pavement. Excavation of material or fill material is to be included in the price per ton bid.
- The cleaning of haul units and paving equipment on the surface to be paved shall not be allowed. The contractor is responsible for locating on or off project(s) sites for this activity. All waste material generated from this activity shall be removed from the project(s) within 48 hours upon completion of the project at the sole expense of the contractor.
- The Contractor is expected to work within the Town right-of-way. Any cost associated with the contractor’s desire to obtain clearances to work outside the existing right-of-way will be at the sole expense of the contractor.
- Damage by the contractor to Town and/or personal property, or utilities during construction will be repaired by the contractor to pre-construction condition and will be at the sole expense of the contractor.
- The Contractor is required to provide traffic control for the duration of the project(s).
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE CONTRACTOR:
The Contractor for this work must possess valid and current licenses and certifications necessary to comply with the “Statement of Work”, as listed below and as regulated by all applicable state and/or local laws and ordinances.
The Provider must have prior training and experience in all aspects of municipal road resurfacing, with knowledge, skills, and understanding of the State of Vermont Agency of Transportation Road Standard Specifications for Construction 2018 and any additional revisions that follow.
Please provide a proposal for paving to Town of Guilford based on the information above and the information below.
Proposals should provide the following additional information:
- Cover sheet with company name, address, year of establishment, contact information, and summary of the work that the company does. Please note on the cover sheet if you are a minority or women owned business enterprise as preference will be given to M/WBEs
- Experience in working with municipalities.
- List of all applicable licenses and certifications.
- Proof of general liability insurance with a minimum amount of $1,000,000 per occurrence.
- Proof of Workers Compensation Insurance.
- Submissions must include a full description of mix, unit of measure, estimated quantity (in number and words), unit price, and total bid price.
- Must be signed and dated by an authorizing company official.
Terms and Period of Performance:
- The contractor agrees to furnish the necessary labor, equipment and material to perform all work in accordance with the Request for Bid, Additional Specifications, Project Documents, the State of Vermont Agency of Transportation Standard Specifications for Construction 2018, and its latest revisions, and the latest version of the MUTCD.
- Project completion is to be no later than 30 September 2023. No paving will be completed after 15 October 2023 without prior written consent of Dan Zumbruski, Guilford Highway Commissioner.
Proposals will be reviewed by members of the Guilford Selectboard, Highway Commissioner, and Town Administrator.
Please submit proposals to the attention of Erika Elder, Town Administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or to 236 School Road, Guilford, VT 05301. Please be sure to put “2023 Paving– Weatherhead Hollow Road” in the subject line or on the envelope.
All proposals submitted via email shall be in PDF format. All proposals sent via mail or delivered in person must be in triplicate and all proposals must state they are valid for no less than forty-five (45) days. No bid received after the time and date stated previously, shall be considered for review. Any bid may be withdrawn prior to the submission deadline. Bids already submitted may be modified if submitted via email or in writing prior to the bid deadline.
In accordance with Town procurement policy, if a minimum of three (3) bids are not received by the bid deadline, the Town of Guilford may extend the deadline, cancel the RFP, or chose a contractor whichever decision best meets the needs and interests of the Town. Should this occur, all contractors having submitted proposals will be notified of the decision.
The Town of Guilford may consider any proposal not prepared and/or submitted in accordance with the provisions hereof as incomplete and will not be considered. The Town of Guilford reserves the right to reject any or all bids or to cancel the RFP at any time as best meets the needs and interests of the Town.
The Town of Guilford will publicly read each contractor’s proposed bid value at 1:00 pm on 22 May 2023 at the Town Office. A list of all proposed bid contract totals will be distributed to all bidders by 6:00 pm of the same day.
The Town of Guilford is not legally obliged to select the lowest bid and reserves the right to select the contractor deemed to best perform this work and fulfill the interests of the Town. All submitted materials will be reviewed prior to the Selectboard choosing a contractor for the project. All proposals, upon submission, become property of the Town of Guilford. This RFP does not commit the Town of Guilford to award a contract, to pay any costs incurred in proposal preparation, or to pay for all goods and/or services offered in a proposal. The Town of Guilford reserves the right to negotiate final details of a contract with the selected contractor, should one be chosen, if it is in the best interest of the Town of Guilford to do so.
Unless otherwise negotiated, the Town of Guilford will pay the total contract cost in one lump sum payment within thirty (30) business days of a scheduled Selectboard Meeting after the invoice has been received and after full completion of the project. No amounts will be paid prior to project completion. In order to be included on a warrant for a Selectboard Meeting, invoices must be submitted to the Town Administrator on or before 3:00 pm of the Thursday prior to the scheduled meeting.
Please provide an adequate response if the firm, or Principals of the firm have been involved in litigation on a project within the last five (5) years, including but not limited to: narrative description, identification of all parties involved, and the current status or resolution of the named dispute.
The Contractor shall warranty materials and workmanship for a period of one year from the date of completion. Defects and associated repair shall be reviewed with the Town prior to any remedial work. All remedial work shall be completed by the Contractor at no additional cost to the Town.
By submitting a proposal, the Contractor certifies that, in accordance with the project’s Additional Specifications, Project Documents, and the description of construction as shown above, I, or we, hereby certify that I am, or we are, the only person or persons interested in this Proposal as principal or principals; that it is made without collusion with any person, firm, or corporation; that an examination has been made of the Proposal, the provided documents, the Specifications and the site of the work, and that I, or we, propose to furnish all necessary machinery, equipment, tools, labor and other means of construction, and all materials specified, in the manner and at the time prescribed, understanding that the quantities of work as shown herein are only estimated and approximate and are subject to increase or decrease and that all quantities of work, whether increased or decreased, are to be performed at the unit prices listed in this proposal.
Download a pdf of Request for Paving Bids.