Guilford Conservation Commission Minutes
September 15, 2022
Attending: Linda Hecker, Linda Lembke, Anne Montgomery, Susan Bonthron, Steve Soszynski, Bevan Quinn
Meeting called to order at 5:30 via Zoom.
The August minutes were accepted unanimously.
The Action Steps from the August meeting were reviewed.
Plans for the 250th anniversary celebration at the Carpenter House October 1 were reviewed.
Linda H shared information about the 2022 AVCC Conference on October 15 at Lake Morey. Susan expressed interest in attending.
Conservation Commission programming ideas
In response to the BBCC’s request for Conservation Commission programming ideas for the coming year, three programs were agreed upon with suggested dates (3rd Thursday evenings of the month, in place of our regular meetings). Presenters will be contacted for confirmation and ideas submitted to BBCC by October 1.
- Observing Wildlife with Backyard Trail Cams, led by Steve S and Jimmy Karlan on Thursday, November 12, 2022
- Conservation Options for Landowners, a panel discussion led by Jennifer Garrett of the Vermont Land Trust on February 16 or March 16, 2023
- iNaturalist Workshop, CC members will lead an indoor “show and tell” about this citizen science program followed by a training and outdoor “bioblitz” on May 18, 2023.
We will also contribute to the BBCC reopening on October 22 from 2:00-5:30pm with a small takeaway from the CC: a bookmark with links for citizen science apps on one side and images of some kind on the other. Anne will gather names and links. Linda L will format and print the bookmarks. CC members will demonstrate the apps at the event.
Voted unanimously to hire a web consultant to work on the formatting of the Natural Resources Inventory for the town website for an amount not to exceed $2500.
We agreed to postpone strategic planning until the October meeting.
Reports on collaborations with other organizations
- Inventorying cultural resources with the Guilford Historical Society is on hold until after the Carpenter House celebration.
- GRWA upcoming programs were discussed.
- Linda H shared information about the program promoting old growth forests in Vermont.
- Linda L reported that the last round of 500 Carriage Trail guides, printed in 2020, are nearly gone. Voted unanimously to print another 500 copies.
The next meeting will be held on October 20 at 5:30pm
Meeting adjourned at 6:50.
Substitute Clerk, Guilford Conservation Commission