The Selectboard is at the center of Vermont’s local government. It is the body that has general supervision and control over the affairs of the town. The Selectboard has general supervision and control over the affairs of the town. The Selectboard performs legislatively (enacting local ordinances, regulations and policies); administratively (preparing and presenting the budgets, overseeing expenditures, supervising personnel) and quasi-judicially (hearing appeals as the local Board of Health or Board of Civil Authority).
Selectboard members are elected by Australian ballot on Town Meeting Day. Three seats are elected to staggered 3-year terms; the remaining two seats are elected to staggered 2-year terms.
The Guilford Selectboard meets on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month at 6:30 pm at the Town Office. Members of the public are welcome. Meetings are recorded by BCTV, posted on their website (www.brattleborotv.org), YouTube, and played on local cable television.
If you would like to have a topic included in the agenda, please contact the Town Administrator by noon on the Wednesday immediately preceding the meeting. The only exception to this is in the event of an emergency or state required action that must be decided upon prior to the next available Selectboard meeting.
Among the Selectboard’s duties and responsibilities are:
- Enacting ordinances and policies for traffic regulation, nuisance control, solid waste management, animal control, road management, recreational facilities, etc.
- Warning all Town Meetings (annual and special), specifying the business to be conducted at the meeting, including proposed budgets.
- Hiring town employees; establishing and enforcing personnel policies, setting salaries, directing and disciplining employees.
- Authorizing all town expenditures by signing orders for the Treasurer to draw town funds.
- Supervising the expenditure of the Highway Fund and keeping town highways in repair; laying out, classifying and discontinuing town roads.
- Appointing a registered voter of Guilford to fill any vacated elected town office until an election is held.
- Appointing and removing town officers and commission members, including constable, animal control officer, fence viewer, pound keeper, inspector of lumber, tree warden, planning and conservation commissioners.
- Adopting the Town Plan (unless the town votes to adopt it by Australian ballot).
- Serving as members of the Board of Civil Authority and the Board of Health.
- 2023-2024 Selectboard Annual Goals
- Community Participation at Selectboard Meetings
|Michael Becker||3 year term||2025|
|Tara Cheney||2 year term||2025|
|Zon Eastes, Chair||2 year term||2024|
|Knute “Rusty” Marine||3 year term||2024|
|Verandah Porche, Vice-chair||3 year term||2026|
Current Selectboard Agenda
- Selectboard Minutes, 09.11.2023
- Selectboard Minutes, 8.28.23
- Selectboard Minutes, 08.14.2023
- Selectboard Minutes, 07.24.2023
- Selectboard Minutes, 07.10.2023
- Selectboard Minutes, 06.26.2023
- Selectboard Special Meeting Minutes, 06.21.2023
- Selectboard Minutes, 06.12.2023
- Selectboard Minutes, 05.22.2023
- Selectboard Minutes, 05.08.2023
- Special Selectboard Meeting, 05.03.2023
- Selectboard Goals Workshop, 05.03.2023