As required by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Code of Federal Regulations, National Flood Insurance Program, (NFIP) 44 CFR Part 60.3(a)(1), no work of any kind may begin in the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) until a Floodplain Development Permit is issued.

As required per Vermont 24 V.S.A. § 4424(a)(2)(D), no permit shall be granted for development in any SFHA or River Corridor until the Agency of Natural Resources has received a copy of the permit application and either 30 days have elapsed or a response is received.

The permit shall be for all structures and for all development, including fill and other activities, as set forth in the Guilford Flood Hazard Bylaw. Examples of such activities include but are not limited to new construction, reconstruction, rebuilding, placement of manufactured homes, placement of small outbuildings, fences, walls, clearing of trees and other vegetation, placement of driveway culverts or bridges, long term storage of equipment and materials or any man‐made change to improved or unimproved real estate such as dredging, drilling, excavation, filling, grading, logging, mining, or paving.

The floodplain development permit requirement is intended to allow the Town to monitor activities located in the SFHA to ensure the following:

  • Base flood elevations do not change as a result of development
  • Buildings in floodways, floodplains and fluvial erosion areas are constructed and maintained properly
  • Substantially damaged/improved buildings are brought into compliance with current floodplain regulations.
  • Repetitive loss issues are properly addressed

Please complete the application and submit it and all relevant documents to the Guilford Floodplain Administrator.

Floodplain Administrator – Town of Guilford

Steven Lembke – 2688 River Rd. Guilford, VT 05301

Guilford Flood Hazard Permit Application