Health Officers are appointed by the state commissioner of health, often on the recommendation of the Selectboard. An individual may contact a health officer to complain of unsafe conditions in rental housing or on public or private property, or to report a septic failure, or an animal that might be rabid. The health officers investigate all complaints and have extensive authority to take emergency abatement steps and may enforce any state health regulations and town health ordinances.

Richard Davis is Guilford’s Health Officer. He can be contacted through the Town Office at 802.254.6857.