Recreation Commission Minutes, 05.17.2023
5-17-23 Meeting Minutes
Attending: Mary Wallace-Collins, Kelsy Allan, Meghan Arthur Chris Zappala,, Verandah Porche, Selectboard Liaison
Call to Order: 6:34 pm
The commissioners shared introductions with newest commissioner, Meghan Arthur. Approval of minutes: The minutes of 4-13-23 meeting were approved unanimously
Finances: Mary estimates The Rec. Commission still has $2800. Mary will follow up with Ashley about Egg Hunt expenses.
- Playscape: Rec Commissioner heading up Playscape activities was not present to report.
- X-Country Ski Returns: There are still outstanding equipment sets. Mary will follow up with emails.
- Ski Shed/ Library E-bike program: Chris will contact Chris Beebe regarding status of e-bikes. Chris will contact library about moving ski equipment to library basement (or to equipment shed at Town Hall).
Chris will invite e-bikes to be on hand at upcoming Bike Night in June.
- Bike Night: Commissioners hoped to provide a space for scooters and skateboards at this year’s Bike Night. Commissioners will tour the school grounds where Bike Night is traditionally held and look for a location for scooter/ skateboard activities.
Commissioners did not set a firm date for Bike Night, hoping for more input from other members. Commissioners will follow up via email.
- There was brief discussion about changing the number of commissioners on the Rec. Commission, but it was decided to let the current number allowed stand. The rest of the meetng was used for brainstorming ideas for further activities. Perhaps, some activities could happen regularly with more frequency, for example, weekly or monthly. Ideas suggested included: Pickleball, badminton, ultimate frisbee, biking, hiking, discussion groups, second language groups, garden tours, etc.
Meghan offered set up a google survey to solicit further suggestions from Guilford residents. Commissioners emphasized that new programming include all age groups and levels, and involve other Guilford groups such as the Rec. Club, Guilford Folk, and The BBCC. There was some discussion about the best places to post news about events in Guilford. Meeting adjourned at 7:34pm